BU Hoops Blog

:: Can You Believe We've Been Doing This Shit for Six Years Now? ::

Friday, November 11, 2005

Ghosts of the Roof

So I got to thinking about the good old days of BU basketball, when we brought it to the NCAA tournament. Way back, well, way back before I was even in college. Rashad and Chaz were getting tons of playing time as freshman. Ryan Butt, Fitz, and J-Groch were there. Matt Turner may have still been hurt, but he was about to hit his prime. Billy Collins and Paul Seymour were also there, as Juniors I believe. These guys made up a special group in the few years they played together.

But what about the seniors that year? I can only remember two, really. Nacho Rodriguez and Stijn Dhont (I don't think I spelled that right). Where are these guys now, I wonder. If anyone can remember the rest of the seniors, or have any idea what these guys are up to, feel free to comment.

I can't help but feel sad, remembering these days, because BU basketball hit a peak, and we've slowly gone down hill. This is probably due in part to several kids quiting or transfering. Of the 4 or 5 (can't remember) kids drafted my freshman year, only Wynn and KG remain. The following years group, Pat Martin, Etienne, Kevin Burton, is completely gone.

We've had stellar years, no doubt about it, but since the crushing loss to Vermont in the Champioship three years ago, we've not been able to make it past the first round of the playoffs. I have a feeling, though, that with the crop of sophmores and freshmen we have now, BU basketball is soon to peak again, and it all starts only 3 days from now.

3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger BUhoopsFANatic said...

I couldn't agree more. I don't think alot of people realize what a talented group of freshman and sophmores Wolffie has assembled. And from what I'm hearing these guys really like each other. I think in a year or two this may be another one of those great Terrier Teams and I can't wait. I have a feeling the chemistry will be great. The future of BU basketball begins 11/14. Let's get this party started!!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Tall-boy said...

Fantastic post High Roller - I think this year's team has a lot of similarities to our tournament team 4 years ago. Hopes weren't too high that year, due to a perceived lack of experience - but Rashad and Chaz stepped up as freshmen. I think there are 2 or 3 new guys coming in this year who can step right into those Chaz/Rashad roles. BUhoopsFANatic is completely right, Wolffie has got a real solid group of frosh and sophs that will be a solid core to the team.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger ginzo said...

The team in 01-02 that went to the tourney had Collins, Chaz, Rashad, Seymore, Butt, Grochowalski, and Turner before he got hurt, thats 6 or 7 depending on whether u include Turner guys, and any one of them would be the go to guy on this teams offense. Big Difference... also, 2 other seniors. Michalek, who was a guard (I think a walk-on), and Jerome Graham who turned into a very solid post player his junior year, hurt his back his senior year, and basically decided to graduate and not come back for another year after that (from what I have heard him and Wolff didnt see eye to eye and wolff told him not to come back)...

Stijn Dhondt is playing professionally in Europe and has been since he graduated. First in Poland and now I believe in Belgium... Billy Collins was the best player BU has had since Tunji. I was really disapointed he wasn't more selfish on offense, because I think he could have scored 15-18 a night easily, but there were so many scorers on that team... great dunker too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home