BU Hoops Blog

:: Can You Believe We've Been Doing This Shit for Six Years Now? ::

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Shaun Wynn's Role

I've got to take issue with something the High Roller wrote yesterday. He basically said his boss Tony proved he knew something about the team when he observed that "a certain veteran player hurts the team more than he helps it when he's on the floor." Granted, this was what Tony said, but the High Roller's tacit approval has me troubled.

I think Shaun Wynn will be really important for this year's team. Too often, we get caught up in gaudy numbers like field goal percentage and points per game. Even I am guilty of this, as earlier this year I referred to his play last year as "Wynn-consistent," even "Wynn-ferior" (by the way, notice how far off I was with the starting lineup prediction).

But I think commenter OldSchool nailed it in his response yesterday:
If you are thinking of the certain veteran that I'm thinking of, I feel like he could still be effective, if he passed more, solely attacked the basket, and focused on defending and rebounding.

Defense, passing, and leadership: those are Shaun Wynn's roles this year. We have the scoring to make up for what he lacks. Kid had 6 assists (game high) as opposed to 3 turnovers - and he wasn't even the point guard. He was tasked with guarding Preseason All-American JJ Redick, and held him to 19 points and ZERO three-pointers - bet Wake Forest would love to do that to Redick. And I think his vocal leadership helped BU come out fast in the early minutes.

He may not be the next America East scoring champ, but I don't think this year's team would be nearly as good without him.

4 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger the High Roller said...

How are you so certain that oldschool was talking about Shawn Wynn?

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Tall-boy said...

Well I guess I'm not sure who he's talking about... but I am sure who you and Tony were talking about.

Don't think OldSchool meant KG, do you?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Tall-boy said...

Unless you all were talking about Omari - but he wasn't out there long enough to make an impression one way or another.

Maybe you meant Pat Martin

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although the speculation is fun to watch, I'll end it by saying I was talking about Shaun Wynn.

When someone who doesn't know BU basketball watched the Duke game or many of the games last season, he might say the same thing about Shaun. I think that Wynn's loss of confidence in his shot has been a very big problem for his overall game. That's why I suggested him attacking the basket for a higher percentage shot. He's got plenty of skill, just not the kind a casual observer will pick up.

Being a leader entails maximizing your assets and doing what's best for the team.

Let's hope he can read this blog and see that and get to work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home