BU Hoops Blog

:: Can You Believe We've Been Doing This Shit for Six Years Now? ::

Monday, February 02, 2009

Mascot issues

Lots of pixels lately on the interwebs about the America East mascots for some reason. America Least decided to do a Mascot Bracketology, and the Hot Dog wrote up his own rankings of the mascots. Hot Dog obviously placed Rhett the Terriers as the #1 mascot, and the America Least brackets have yet to play out.




But as big a fan as I am, I have a bone to pick with Rhett. I attended my one and only BU home game a couple weeks ago (you may remember it... it went 4 overtimes). I had a young lady with me who may not be the biggest basketball fan but is a huge fan of mascots. And Rhett the Terrier decided not to show up for that Monday night home game at the Roof!! All she wanted was a picture with Rhett. While I would have felt pity for the poor soul who had to endure four overtimes in that stuffy suit, it would have been nice to have a little entertainment in between periods for those of us who were excited to see Rhett.

We did a little investigating, and found out that the reason for Rhett's absence was that the athletic department for some reason didn't have access to the Rhett suit that night. Huh???

We were told that it was locked up in some inaccessible part of Agganis because of the hockey game TWO NIGHTS EARLIER or something. That's not even the worst part, get this: there are TWO different Rhett suits, and they couldn't get the other one either! The story on that is apparently it was somewhere in East Campus and nobody bothered to go get it. What was it doing in East Campus you might ask? Hell if I know, maybe walking around Myles dining hall or some other such non-athletic activity. Come on BU, these are really sad reasons not to have your mascot at a home basketball game.

The mascot impropriety doesn't stop there, however. Two days ago, BU had a game on ESPNU, and since we're not often on national TV, they bused down to Hartford with the cheerleaders, band and some fans, plus our lovable Rhett. Cool idea, right? Yeah, cool idea -- except I'm watching on TV and I almost spit out my Miller Lite:

RHETT THE TERRIER IS WALKING AROUND THE HARTFORD GYM IN A HOCKEY JERSEY.

What the shit? This is an outrage. This is worse than Rhett not showing up to a home game. Would Rhett ever prance around at a home BU hockey game dressed in a basketball jersey? No, he'd be laughed off the ice. BU fans who go to basketball games dressed in their hockey jersey have a special place in hell reserved for them. And not only does our mascot do that, but he does it at an AWAY game, on NATIONAL TV, for everyone else to see how pathetic it is.

Ugh. Come on, Rhett. Time to step up your game. The team needs you. The fans need you. I need you.

At least we know the BU Dance Team is still on top of things:





Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger BF said...

Old Rhett was so much cooler than new Rhett. I tell new Rhett to get away from me whenever I see him in a hockey jersey at basketball games. I KNOW HE HAS A BASKETBALL JERSEY.

I think I'll start wearing my bball jersey to hockey games.

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the mascot policy is there can not be two different rhett's at two events going on at the same time. since the beanpot and the bball game occurred at the same time, the beanpot took precedence and rhett appeared there, but he cannot appear in two places at once.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Tall-boy said...

I was referring to the Stony Brook home game of 1/19. The Beanpot was 2/2 and 2/9. There should have been a Rhett at the Stony Brook basketball game

 

Post a Comment

<< Home