BU Hoops Blog

:: Can You Believe We've Been Doing This Shit for Six Years Now? ::

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Back To My Roots: The Binghamton Preview

Tough loss to take, last time out at The Greek. BU, and by BU I mean John Holland, played pretty well in the first half, building up a big lead. But at the end of the half, Vermont started doing full court press pretty much every time and it started working. They kept this up for the entire second half, and we had no answer.

The lead kept ssssssssssslipping away, and we were helpless. It was so obvious we were helpless against the press that when we were down 5, it felt like 25 and I knew there was no way we were coming back. Dennis Wolff called it "caving in" but I think they just ran out of gas.

The turning point, I believe, was the stoppage in play after Marqus Blakely stole the ball from Matt Wolff, Matt tried to grab it back, and then a pile-up ensued on the floor. Anybody else get the feeling that the game felt different before and after that play? I feel like several minutes of standing around got us out of any rhythm we may have been establishing.

But the real problem was handling the press. And here's the reason we couldn't handle the ball coming up the floor: WE HAD NO BALLHANDLERS. When you put 4 forwards out there with 1 guard, teams are going to take advantage.

So here's my plea for today's game in Bing: start Marques Johnson, and let him play. He can handle the rock.

Today I'm back in Boston for the first time in a year, for some kind of alumni weekend+football watching+general drunkenness. Unfortunately the Terriers are not in Boston. So I'm going to do the right thing and watch the game online in the GSU. You can purchase the video from Binghamton here, beware of homer announcers. Question: Does the GSU have free wireless for anyone, or am I going to have to go across to Espresso Royale?

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know if Wolff or the AD reads any of these comments? If not I think I am going to send them an email. This is worse than most 8th grade basketball teams in terms of how daddy lets his son play. Not to mention the fact that Wolff clearly cannot coach a winning team. I came to the Vermont game and got so frustrated at what I saw I had to leave. I wish more people cared, maybe if basketball was taken seriously at BU we could actually get something done.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know if Wolff or the AD reads any of these comments? If not I think I am going to send them an email. This is worse than most 8th grade basketball teams in terms of how daddy lets his son play. Not to mention the fact that Wolff clearly cannot coach a winning team. I came to the Vermont game and got so frustrated at what I saw I had to leave. I wish more people cared, maybe if basketball was taken seriously at BU we could actually get something done.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question: Who wants Dennis Wolff to keep his job?
Answer: Every other coach in America East!

Keep Dennis on the bench, keep a potential sleeping giant snoozing and loozing!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home